Spaghetti with asparagus & spinach pesto
- 2 bunches asparagus, cut into 4cm pieces
- 60g (2/3 cup) finely grated pecorino, plus extra, to serve
- 1 tablespoon baby capers
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated, juiced
- 1 large garlic clove chopped
- 45g (1/3 cup) walnuts toasted
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 375g pkt wholegrain spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon Fried baby capers, extra, to serve (optional)
Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil over high heat. Cook 1 bunch of asparagus for 3 minutes or until tender. Remove with a slotted spoon. Refresh under cold running water.
Process cooked asparagus, pecorino, capers, lemon rind, garlic, 1/4 cup walnuts and 50g spinach in a food processor until finely chopped. With the motor running, add the lemon juice and oil until smooth and combined. Season well.
Cook the pasta in the pan, adding the remaining asparagus for the last 1 minute of cooking time, or until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water.
Combine leftover walnuts with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon to stuff apples before roasting, or process and stir with whole-egg mayo to toss through potato salad.